Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why Didn't I Get an E-Mail Message to Validate My Account?
The configuration of the E-Mail servers or firewall at your organization is probably the problem. The short-term 'fix' is to submit a Support Request and let us know that you didn't get your validation message. We will validate your account and send you a message from our personal accounts that should make it through your E-Mail service. After this, you will be able to log-in to the System. The long-term fix is to ask your firewall administrator to allow messages from our System.
2. How Do I Download GIS Data?
The GIS Inventory Is NOT a source for GIS Data. The GIS Inventory tracks the status of data, people, organizations, policies and systems. It does not have the actual data layers in the system for download. You can use the "Data Layers" search and the "Status Map" on the GIS Inventory homepage to locate data based on your search criteria. You can then click onto web site/clearinghouse links if available or contact organizations directly to see about getting the data. You can also locate links to Web Map Services when that information is provided. They are located in the Metadata files and on in each of the Data Layer report windows.
3. Can I Upload My Existing Metadata?For more information click on the Harvesting link in the left hand navigation pane.
Yes. This is a new feature of Version 6. You must create a "Harvest Account" under the "My Profile" tab. It allows you to automatically harvest information from a Web Accessible Folder, FTP site, or Catalog Service for the Web (CSW). The files to be harvested MUST be in an XML format and adhere to the FGDC's Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata (CSDGM). Users can harvest the information from their ArcCatalog System by following these instructions:
1) Export data layer information from ArcCatalog to a Web Accessible Folder (WAF). You must select the Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metatdata (CSDGM) Standard and XML format during the export process. Visit the following link for instructions on formatting and exporting your data: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Creating_standard_compliant_metadata/003t00000036000000/
2) Create a "Harvest Account" on the User Interface of the GIS Inventory.
3) Contact the Support Desk for training and permission to access the Administrator Interface.
4) Create a Harvest Account under the "My Profile" tab
5) Execute the Harvest
6) Edit your data for the errors and omissions that are noted
7) Move your data into the GIS Inventory